Republic of Sudan
East Sudan Roads
Eastern Sudan Reconstruction and Development Fund
KD 70.3 million
KD 54.0 million
41 semi-annual installments
5 years following the first disbursement
The project is part of an integrated program to rebuild and develop Eastern Sudan, by linking remote rural areas and isolated villages to towns and cities, facilitating the population's access to basic services and products, as well as facilitating the transportation of agricultural products from production areas to consumption areas, with the aim to improve the economic and social situation of the population of these areas.
The project, which is expected to be completed by the end of the fourth quarter of 2015, consists of the construction of three main roads in three states, the Red Sea, Kassala, and Al Qadarif, in addition to two main bridges. The project includes the execution of all civil and construction works necessary to build these roads and bridges, as well as ancillary works needed for traffic safety. The project includes consultancy services needed for design and supervision of the project. The project consists of the following components:
- 1. Construction of Roads and Bridges:
a. Roads: This component includes the construction and paving of three roads in East Sudan with asphalt, with a width of 7 m and shoulders ranging between 1.5 and 2 m, for a total length of about 400 km. This component also includes all reinforced concrete works needed to construct bridges and ferries, safety works and drainage facilities, in addition to necessary ancillary works.
i. Kassala - Karkoun - Maman Road: This road is located in Kassala State, with a length of about 75 km. It starts from Karkoun city and ends in Maman city, and passes through Bowabolet, Tahadi and Telkuk .
- ii. Toker - Garora Road: This road is located in the Red Sea State, with a length of about 180 km. It starts from Toker city and ends in Garora city, and passes through several villages, such as Juba, Doliba and Aqiq .
- iii. Al Qadarif - Simsim Abu Al Naja Link Road: This road is located in Al Qadarif State, with a length of about 146 km. It starts from Al Qadarif city, and passes through Al Qadarif and Al Qalabat counties, in addition to 13 other villages, and ends in Simsim.
- b. Bridges:
i. Kassala Bridge: This bridge links Kassala city and Delta Al Qash, with a length of about 150 m and a width of 11.5 m. The bridge consists of two lanes, one in each direction with a width of 4 m, and a pedestrian pathway with a width of 1.75 m. Reinforced concrete and steel structures will be used in the construction of this bridge.
- ii. Sidon Bridge: This bridge links Kassala and the Nile River States, with a length of about 250 m and a width of 13 m. The bridge consists of two lanes, one in each direction with a width of 4.5 m, and a pedestrian pathway with a width of 2 m.
- 2. Consultancy Services: This includes consultancy services required to prepare the studies, design, detailed plans, specifications and tender documents as well as assistance in qualifying contractors, tender evaluation and project supervision.
The Arab Fund's loan covers about 77% of the total project cost. The Sudanese Government will cover the remaining cost of the project and any additional cost that may arise.