Republic of Lebanon
Syr El-Dania Jbab El-Homr / El-Hermel Road
Ministry of Public Works and Transport
KD 14.5 million
KD 6.0 million
35 semi-annual installments
5 years following the first disbursement
The project aims at improving land transportation services and enhancing the level of traffic safety in the main intersections of the road network. The project also contributes to the economic, social and touristic development of the northern regions of the country, by improving their infrastructure and linking them to the coastal areas.
The total length of the road, according to the new division for the purpose of execution, is approximately 62 km, divided into four sections:
- First Section (Syr El-Dania - Qarseeta): This section extends from Syr El-Dania to Qarseeta, for a length of about 14.5 km.
- Second Section (Qarseeta - Jbab El-Homr): This section starts from the end of the first section and ends in Jbab El-Homr, for a length of about 24.5 km.
- Third Section: This part is the crossing bridge over Naba'a El-Sukkar valley, with a length of about 100 m.
- Fourth Section (Jbab El-Homr - El-Hermel): This section starts at Jbab El-Homr and ends at El-Hermel, for a length of about 23 km.
The project, which is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2011, includes construction of the first three sections and the rehabilitation of the fourth section, thereby making a direct connection between the north of Beqaa and the coastal regions of the country. The project also includes consultancy services required for project implementation. It consists of the following components:
- Civil Works: This includes all the civil and structural works needed to construct and pave an asphalt road linking Syr El-Dania and Jbab El-Homr for a length of about 39 km and a width of 10 m, of which 7 m are paved, and accommodates two lanes, one in each direction. This component also includes site preparation, geotechnical tests, removal of obstacles on the road, earth works, longitudinal and lateral drainage infrastructure, asphalt paving, building retaining walls and safety fences, procurement and installation of traffic safety requirements, as well as all necessary ancillary works. This component also includes works required for building a metal bridge over Wadi Naba El-Sukar with a total length of about 100 m, execution of earth works, concrete and steel works, asphalt pavement works and required ancillary works, in addition to any other works required for the execution, utilization and maintenance of the project. The works also include expanding and strengthening the existing road between Jbab El-Homr and El-Hermel, by improving its flow and rebuilding some of its parts, in addition to expanding the asphalt part and shoulders, building drainage and protection infrastructure, and other ancillary works.
- Consultancy Services: This includes all consultancy services required for finalizing project designs, preparing tender documents, assisting in bid evaluation and tender award, as well as supervision of project execution.
The Arab Fund's present loan, in addition to the first loan provided in 1997 for an amount of KD 6.0 million, cover about 82.8% of the total project cost. The Lebanese Government will cover the remaining cost of the project and any additional cost that may arise.